Part 11: Hello, 2020!

Part 11: Hello, 2020!


Happy New Year! I’ve been a bit absent on here since early December, but that’s because there really hasn’t been anything new going on since we schedule my surgery. I haven’t had any appointments, no blood tests, only one CT scan, and it’s been absolutely amazing. I’ve been soaking up time with my husband and family, enjoying the holidays, getting back into the swing of teaching after the break, and just enjoying the freedom of not having to go down to Atlanta every week for a new appointment.


On New Year’s Eve, I had a chest/abdomen/pelvis CT with oral contrast (no IV due to an allergy) to get some images before surgery. They were checking to make sure that the tumors haven’t spread to my chest and lungs which can happen in some cases. The images will also be used during surgery to help them pinpoint the locations of the tumors and prepare for the hysterectomy. I was able to pick up the results of the scan and was thrilled to read that there were no new growths and from what they could see, it hasn’t spread to my chest or into my intestines! Again, this was without any dyes, which means they might not have been able to get a full, clear picture. However, there was still a decent amount of free fluid in my pelvis, a symptom of my tumors, so they couldn’t get a clear image of my left ovary. This concerns me because that means my doctor will be going into surgery blind, not knowing what to expect to find besides what he saw during my last surgery in October. Regardless, I’m still focusing on the positive: as of right now (with just me reading and deciphering the report), there’s no sign that it has spread further!


As for how I’m feeling, right now I’m feeling pretty alright! I’ve been having some cramping and started getting a little more fatigued, but other than that, I’m here and I’m moving. I even joined a gym called FitBody Bootcamp! They were doing a promotion for a 28 FitBody Challenge and I ended up signing up with exactly 28 days until surgery. My thought process was if I can get my body stronger before surgery, maybe I’ll be able to bounce back from recovery a bit smoother. Little did I know how much I would enjoy it! I actually look forward to going every day after school, and I’m loving how much stronger I feel and look after just a week. Not to mention how great it’s been for my mental health. Exercising and moving has always been my favorite way to relieve stress, and the endorphins that are released lifts my mood like none other.





This week, I had my pre-op and genetics testing. Pre-op went smoothly and I got my labs done like a pro (that has to sip on apple juice the entire time…)! It was really surreal learning about the surgery from a nurse. I’ve known since my last appointment what was going to happen, but actually signing the papers and getting the logistics of it all just made it extremely real. I was surprised to get emotional listening to the effects of menopause that I’ll start experiencing a few days after surgery. Honestly, it sucks not only having the ability to carry our child taken away, but also having to deal with my body changing from medical menopause (specifically the whole “drying up” part - I mean, come on, I’m 27 years old!). Regardless of how frustrated, disappointed, and nervous I am for all of it, I’ll do my best to take it with grace if it means being one step closer to getting my body back. Also, a side note, we learned during this meeting that I can have black coffee day of surgery up until 5:15am! If you know me, then you know how big of a deal that is for me! I definitely danced a little.


Genetics testing was super interesting! I met with a doctor who recreated my family tree, focusing on those that have had some form of cancer. She essentially gave me a giant lesson in genetics and how my family history ties together with what I’m going through right now, along with other potential risks. We don’t know much about it all right now, but as soon as I get the results in (breast cancer genes hopefully by the 7th, all others in about 3 weeks), I’ll fill y’all in.
*Tl;dr I spit into a tube and the doctors are testing roughly 75 of my genes for mutations.


When this all started, everything seemed to happen so incredibly fast. I’m so thankful that I had almost two entire months without any doctor appointments, labs, or trips down to Atlanta. Thank you so much to everyone who has encouraged us, spent time with us, sent well wishes, and helped distract me when I started to feel the weight of it all.


If you haven’t already, please follow my new Instagram page @Project.160.CL - I’ll be updating this page more frequently during my recovery.

Comments

Popular Posts