Part 4: A Few Long Weeks

Part 4: A Few Long Weeks


The next few days flew by. I went in for my Pre-Op on the 3rd without any complications. I even put on a brave face for the blood-draw (sidenote: I don’t do needles and have a super weak stomach. However, after getting more blood work done over the last year than I have in my 26 years of existence has helped me toughen up a bit)!

I had my ultrasound on the 7th with the nicest doctor around, Dr. Stone. Think Jeff Goldblum, but smaller and with small, round glasses - he was the best and I would absolutely drive down to Atlanta again to see him if I have to get another scan done! During the scan, him and his nurse saw the two cysts we were concerned about, along with a third that had formed over the last few weeks. He also noticed that my ovaries were fairly large which is something my OB/GYN hadn’t mentioned to me. He saw that I had more blood-flow and debris, as well as enough tissue build-up in my cervix to indicate years of problems. While all of this stood out to me (the teacher, not doctor. Let it be known that I have no medical training outside of Dr. Google) as unusual, he assured us that he believed this all typical for Endometriosis, though we couldn’t completely throw the idea of cancer out the door. However, Dr. Stone requested that I have an MRI (without contrast because of an allergy) to get extra information and images before surgery. I accepted this conclusion, and Patrick and I headed home.


The rest was supposed to be easy - just wait until surgery day. If only my body listened. I don’t know if it was the stress or what, but my body decided that it was the perfect time to develop a gnarly UTI - my first one ever, and less than a week before my scheduled surgery. I couldn’t believe it. Five days of hardcore antibotics (along with a few sleepless nights and vomiting) and an MRI later, I was finally feeling better, my substitute plans were done, and I was ready to take on surgery the next day.

Comments

Popular Posts