Part 6: What Are We Going To Do With You?

Part 6: What Are We Going To Do With You?

Maybe I was a wimp, maybe I was just letting my anxiety get the best of me, but recovery wasn’t as easy as we had hoped it would be.

The first day (Monday) went well - in fact, once we got home and I was in bed, I 1) graded CFAs 2) updated the data in my binder 3) updated the data on the school spreadsheet 4) worked on my Canvas pages. Besides some discomfort, you’d never know I had just had surgery! Thank goodness for good pain management meds my nurse gave me in the hospital (bless you, Nurse Katie). I was even able to get up and do a few laps around the bedroom! Life was going alright despite everything.

By Wednesday though, I was having frequent dizzy spells while sitting down and started to bleed larger blood clots more often. My doctor wanted us to get my levels rechecked to make sure nothing was going on, so back to Northside Hospital we went, thankfully to Cherokee this time which is 10 minutes from home. Labs came back normal and I the dizzy spells started to slowly subside with some added sugar to my diet - apple juice is a lifesaver for me!

On Friday night, I started to develop a low fever of 99.2. I was flush, consistently warm, and sweating a bit. Again, we called my doctor and they said to watch it. If it got higher than 100 degrees, we were to go to the ER. It was a long night, but my temperature finally started to go down.

Saturday, I started having more pain in my right side than I had in the past few days. I had an oval shaped red mark running from my top right incision to just past my bottom right laparoscopy puncture. It was warm, very sensitive to the touch, and was making walking almost impossible. By Sunday night, I couldn’t take it anymore - nothing was helping to ease the pain and we were worried that it had developed into an infection. We called the on-call nurse and scheduled an appointment to come in the following morning. Little did we know what we would learn from that appointment.

Comments

Popular Posts